The intent of this law is to require buildings to undertake the audits that lead to energy efficiency retrofits, which generally result in major cost and energy savings. Local Law 87 (LL87) mandates that buildings 50,000 gross square feet or larger undergo periodic energy audit and retro-commissioning measures, as part of the Greener, Greater Buildings Plan (GGBP).
In addition to benchmarking annual energy and water consumption, undertaking an energy audit and retro-commissioning will give building owners a much more robust understanding of their buildings’ performance, eventually shifting the market towards increasingly efficient, high-performing buildings.
In summary, LL87’s energy audit and retro-commissioning process requires the following:
- Determine if a building needs to comply, and what year it is due.
- Conduct an energy audit and retro-commissioning of base building systems and complete an Energy Efficiency Report (EER) electronically.
- Submit the EER report once every ten years to the City by December 31.
Bay City Metering has spent time understanding the new law and the necessary work required for Building Ownership to meet their legal requirements. We’ve met with a number of vendors and have vetted out a handful we believe are doing the job properly for Ownership. Bay City Metering works directly with the vendor to minimize the time and manpower necessary for an Owner as they move forward in the energy audit and retro commissioning.
- Local Law 87 – Energy Audits & Retro-Commissioning at NYC.gov
- PlaNYC2030 Website at NYC.gov
- GGBP Overview (PDF) at NYC.gov
How can we help you?
Does your property need to comply with Local Law 87 requirements? Call our office at (212) 575-0785, or send us an email using the form on this page. We look forward to speaking with you soon.